Ibuprofen 100 Mg/5 Ml Oral Suspension
This information is intended for use by health professionals
Ibuprofen 100mg/5ml Oral Suspension
Each 5 ml contains 100 mg of ibuprofen.
Excipients with known effect
Maltitol liquid 1447.5 mg/5 ml,
Sodium methylhydroxybenzoate 9 mg/5 ml,
Sodium propylhydroxybenzoate 1 mg /5 ml,
Propylene glycol 5.2 mg/5 ml ,
For the full list of excipients, see section 6.1.
Sugar Free, Colour Free and Strawberry Flavour
Prescription and OTC: Ibuprofen 100 mg / 5 ml Oral Suspension is used as an analgesic for relief of mild to moderate muscular pain, post-immunisation pyrexia, symptomatic relief of headache, earache, dental pain and backache. It can also be used in minor injuries such as sprains and strains. Ibuprofen 100 mg / 5 ml Oral Suspension is effective in the relief of feverishness and symptoms of colds and influenza.
Prescription Only: Ibuprofen 100 mg / 5 ml Oral Suspension is indicated for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects in the treatment of dysmenorrhoea, neuralgia, postoperative pain, rheumatoid arthritis , ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis and other non-rheumatoid arthropathies.
In the treatment of non-articular rheumatic conditions, Ibuprofen 100 mg / 5 ml Oral Suspension is indicated for periarticular conditions such as frozen shoulder , bursitis, tendonitis, tenosynovitis and low back pain. Ibuprofen 100 mg / 5 ml Oral Suspension can also be used in soft tissue injuries such as sprains and strains.
For oral administration and short-term use only.
Using The Ibuprofen Calculator: An Example
Let’s assume that your child weighs 35 kg. Let’s assume you want to give this drug to the child in the form of a custom solution, of a strength 30 mg/ml
- Medication type: Solution
- Solution strength: 30 mg/ml
- Maximum single solution amount: this is the maximum safe dose you can give to the child at one time. The ibuprofen amount divided by the concentration, In this case, 350/30 = 11.67 ml. Let’s round it to 12 ml.
- Maximum single dose: the number of miligrams of ibuprofen which contains the maximum single solution amount, here: 350 mg.
- Maximum daily dose: this is the product of the maximum safe dosage and child’s weight. In this case, it should be equal to 40 * 35 = 1400 mg per day. However, it’s different if ibuprofen was not prescribed by a doctor and you use it as OTC drug. Then the maximum daily limit, regardless of the weight, is 1200 mg.
Make sure to check out the paracetamol dosage calculator as well.
Giving Medicine To Children
Make sure you don’t give your child more than one medicine with ibuprofen. For example, ibuprofen can be found in many allergy and cold remedies. Read the label before giving any medicine to children. You should not give medicine with more than one active ingredient to children under age 6 years.
There are important child medicine safety tips to follow.
- Carefully read all of the instructions on the label before giving your child medicine.
- Make sure you know the strength of the medicine in the bottle you purchased.
- Use the syringe, dropper, or dosing cup that comes with your child’s liquid medicine. You can also get one at your local pharmacy.
- Make sure you are using the right unit of measurement when filling medicine. You may have the option of milliliters or teaspoon dosing.
- If you are not sure what medicine to give your child, call your provider.
Children with certain medical conditions or taking certain medicines should not take ibuprofen. Check with your provider.
You May Like: How Much Ibuprofen Can I Take In One Day
Ibuprofen Dosage For Kids
The regularly prescribed dosage of ibuprofen for kids is 10 mg per 1 kg of body weight, and can be administered every 6 to 8 hours. If your child is in severe pain, you can use this ibuprofen calculator to calculate the one-time dose for your child. The meaning of each variable is described in detail below.
- Child’s weight is self-explanatory – the body mass of the child.
- Medication type is either Infant drops, Liquid, Chewable tablets, Adult tablets or custom tablets/solution.
In case you choose a custom version, we’ll need:
- Solution/Tablet strength is the concentration of ibuprofen in the solution/tablet, expressed as mg per ml . You should find that information on the bottle.
Ibuprofen Paediatric Dose Calculator
If you are giving ibuprofen to your child, and are unsure of how much to give, always check with your pharmacist. Read more about ibuprofen for children.
Disclaimer: Calculations must be re-checked and should not be used alone to guide patient care, nor should they substitute for clinical judgment.
You May Like: Can Aspirin Help With Blood Clots
If Your Child Takes Too Much
Be sure to post the number for the poison control center by your home phone. If you think your child has taken too much medicine, call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. It is open 24 hours a day. Signs of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and abdominal pain.
Go to the nearest emergency room. Your child may need:
- Activated charcoal. Charcoal stops the body from absorbing the medicine. It has to be given within an hour. It does not work for every medicine.
- To be admitted to the hospital to be monitored.
- Blood tests to see what the medicine is doing.
- To have his or her heart rate, breathing rate, and blood pressure monitored.
Pediatric Ibuprofen Analgesic And Antipyretic Dosing
When possible, calculate ibuprofen dose based on weight using 4-10 mg/kg/dose. Give PO every 6-8 hours. Maximum single dose is 400 mg/dose, and maximum daily dose is 40 mg/kg/day up to 1200 mg/day. When weight is unknown, the below guideline based on age may be used.
Age 6-11 months
Oral drops : 1.25 mL
Age 12-23 months
Oral drops : 1.875 mL
Age 2-3 years
Oral suspension : 5 mL
Chewable tablets : 1 tablet
Age 4-5 years
Oral suspension : 7.5 mL
Chewable tablets : 1.5 tablets
Age 6-8 years
Oral suspension : 10 mL
Chewable tablets : 2 tablets
Age 9-10 years
Oral suspension : 12.5 mL
Chewable tablets : 2.5 tablets
Age 11-12 years
Oral suspension : 15 mL
Chewable tablets : 3 tablets
You May Like: Ibuprofen Or Acetaminophen For Menstrual Cramps
Why Choose Us
St. Louis Childrens Hospital is consistently ranked among the nations best pediatric hospitals by U.S. News & World Report, the most comprehensive source of quality-related information on U.S. pediatric hospitals. We follow one simple mission to do whats right for kids. That mission comes to life through medical discovery, innovative therapies and compassionate care.